Well, 2020 is the only year so far that we have learned the importance of hygiene and implemented it, too, thanks to the global pandemic. Parents and elders around kids follow the hygiene habits and routines during the initial phase of their life. It can be anything from washing hands to bathing. But as and when kids start exploring everything, they see around them and become more independent in performing daily activities by themselves, under the supervision of parents or guardians. Kids tend to not only touch but also put all the things in the mouth first. And it is just the right age where parents have to intervene and teach their kids the proper personal hygiene. These habits help in keeping the kids safe while they venture out. You can build healthy kids once you teach them good health and hygiene habits.
Some of the best personal hygiene habits:
- Brushing teeth twice a day
- Wearing clean clothes
- Cleaning dirty shoes
- Wearing clean socks
- Using a handkerchief
- Washing hands often
- Covering their mouth while sneezing or coughing
- Having a bath twice a day
- Washing their hair at least once or twice a week
Often kids are led by examples, so if you want your kids to follow healthy hygiene, ensure you also do so. Consider talking about the importance of hygiene to kids as kids will not pursue any advice blindly, so convince them that following these habits is essential. Above all, make the routine fun by singing some songs while washing hands or make a story while brushing. As kids are smart and understand what is being said to them, there are chances you have to repeat yourself a lot of times or try out different methods to understand why they need to follow these habits.
There are a few essential tips that you should follow to inculcate them, into your own kids:
- Communicate: Communication is the key and there is no doubt about. Regularly make it a habit of communicating with your child about the importance of hygiene and how to make sure to attain utmost hygiene always. You must convince them in such a manner that they start taking hygiene very seriously and understand the importance of it. You can either make them watch some relatable fun videos or give them story books, that help them awakening felling.
- Make the process of fun: No child likes to listen to lectures and that is the harsh truth. Instead of giving boring lectures, why not make the whole process a lot more fun and interesting. You can come up with your own hygiene challenges or turn it into a competition. You can also set up mechanisms related to timely action and rewards. All you must do is, motivate your child to follow a proper hygiene regime and that is about it.
- Routine is important: Although there is no doubt about the fact, that setting up of a routine does take considerable time and efforts. The real task is to set up a routine, as once the routine is all set, then all the Hussle and hard work is over. Just make a strict timetable and ensure that at least for a month, your child ends up following the timetable.
- Discuss the negative effects of not following a routine: Children should also know about the aftereffects of not following a proper hygiene schedule. Communicate with them about the germs and the different infections they can get and how rapidly these germs spread. However, be clear about one thing and that is, your primary goal is not really to scare them or anything, but the goal is to educate them.
Children are one of the smartest creatures, and they have very high grasping powers. You will not really have to repeat yourself also, and they would end up understanding it smoothly.
Learn more about Tips for teaching personal hygiene in kids by the Best CBSE schools in Coimbatore.